Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sweet Potatoe Hash (p2)

Since doing South Beach I really haven't missed potatoes all that much. In fact I have been so happy with all the wonderful dishes I have had that I really don't think of potatoes much at all. When I ate potatoes it was always white as I have never been too much for sweet potatoes. The traditional canned yams with marshmallows have never been too high on my food priorities until I had it a bit differently at a party. Then I started making it the same way and actually enjoyed it (it was blended and had pecans and was much more desert like). I also found one recipe for a southern sweet potato pie with a hint of lemon that was really good too. I got it from a woman who secretly gave me the recipe that had been in her family for many many generations! Now aside from those two highly sweet dishes of sweet potatoes I really cant say I'm that wild about them. I cant see having them in anything that isn't a sweet brown surgery dish...until now!

While visiting the really great blogs ( listing on the right side of this page) that I like to check out once or twice a week, I came across this recipe for a sweet potato hash on the Kitchen Picasso's blog. She stated she has never been too wild about sweet potatoes either but the seasonings in this dish mask the sweetness and really gives a good flavor. I decided to try it and have made it twice now. Its very good. Still a bit rich so a little does it for me, but as a side dish it was great and is very versatile for any meal of the day; breakfast, lunch or supper! I made them once as the recipe called and served it as a side to Supper. The last time I made it I shredded the sweet potatoes and served it along side of scrambled eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast. As Maggie (the Kitchen Picasso) stated: This recipe is based on the original " Party line with the Hearty Boys" recipe, which can be found on the Food Network.

Sweet Potato Hash (p2)

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced (about 2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, diced (about 2 cups)
2-3 sweet potatoes, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tsp. garlic powder
pepper to taste
1/2 cup green onions, chopped (optional)

Heat a large skillet with oil and add the potatoes ( I found I like them shredded).
Cook til the potatoes start to get a bit tendar and add
the onion , bell pepper and all the seasonings. Lower the heat to medium-high, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender and or browned like you like. The potatoes will begin to stick as they cook. Just continue to turn with a spatula. Season with pepper and additional salt if needed and serve.
Optional: Stir in 1/4 c green onions, top with another 1/4 c, serve and ENJOY!

1 comment:

MindiMo said...

Hey Girlie.. im leaving you a message...LOL!!!