Monday, September 18, 2006

Cabbage Goulash (p1)

I saw this dish on a really great blog called: deLIGHTful (click the name to go that blog). The blog owner, shell LOVES cabbage and created this dish one day. Its extremely good and easy to make. I don't think I have ever liked cabbage in a dish more than this one. Even my veggie picky teen liked it and even asked if I'd make another batch as we gobbled up the first one so fast. This dish is hearty, a full meal in itself, easy to make and tastes wonderful! I truly recommend it and cant say enough good about it, other than give it a try! Now when I made it, I added a bit more meat, an extra bell pepper and an extra amount of the seasonings as the head of cabbage I had was so big. This is truly a favorite in our home now and bet it will be in yours too. Below is a combo of the orrigional recipe and my additions.

Cabbage Goulash (p1)


Ingredients:
1/2 to 1 head of cabbage, chopped
1/2 to 1 onion, chopped
1 to 2 bell peppers, chopped
1 to 2 tbsp chopped garlic (from jar)
1 to 2 c cooked hamburger meat, crumbled (I tend to make a big batch and use 2lbs of HB meat)
1 to 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 to 2 tsp cumin
1 to 2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
couscous or brown rice (optional)

In a large skillet precook the hamburger til crumbly and browned. Drain, rinse in hot water and drain again. Add back into the skillet and cook til all the water is gone and its cooked well (add a bit of salt too). Take out the cooked hamburger meat and set aside. In the same large skillet sauté the cabbage, onion, garlic, and bell pepper in olive oil until tender. Add in all the seasonings and stir well. Add the pre-cooked hamburger meat, tomatoes, more seasoning if needed and let simmer still cabbage is tender and all the flavors mix...or til the wonderful smell gets to you and you HAVE To dig in! Ha ha.
Spoon mixture over couscous, brown rice or by its self on a big plate and ENJOY!
!!!!

1 comment:

Nau-Dee said...

Oh we totally LOVE it!!!! Infact I've made it like 4 times already and have the fixings for another batch. :D And your cute, I think your pict is better - but thanks!