Sunday, July 12, 2009

Eggnog French Toast

So I've been away for awhile and I wish I had my camera handy on many new dishes that we've had and enjoyed, but I'm sad to say this has not been the case. However, I got it out today and I'd like to share a definate noteworthy
recipe..infact there are two (homemade
eggnog and eggnog and rum french toast). And all I gotta say is Oh YUMMMMM were they good!!!!!
Eggnog & Rum French Toast
The other day I came across a
blog called Lisa's Kitchen (foodandspice.blogspot.com). She has some really yummy looking recipes on this, site so do go visit. I've only tried a couple of her dishes so far and they were really good...and this one for Eggnog and Rum French Toast is wonderful!
Being that its July I find no pre-made eggnog at the store so this took me to look for recipes for homemade eggnog on line.I found many variations but the one I settled on was posted by a Denise on allrecipes.com. It had over 60 positive ratings and it
sounded really good. I've never made eggnog before so I was a bit skeptical but wow was I impressed. I'm posting a combination of Lisa's recipe
with my additions and will provide a link to Denise's recipe for her homemade eggnog as it worked really well with this dish.Click here for the

Both recipes were really quick and easy to make and well worth any effort to make
them! Hope you enjoy them as much my family did. We will defiantly make these again!!!




Eggnog & Rum French Toast

1 cup eggnog (store bought or homemade eggnog)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons dark rum (or extract if you rather)
ground cinnamon to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
6 thick slices of bread (French, Italian bread, Texas toast etc...) butter
for grasing the pan (or vegetable oil)

Heat a large cast iron frying pan (I used a non-stick skillet) on medium-low heat. Meanwhile, beat the eggnog together with the eggs, rum and spices to taste (I also added 1 to 2 Tab of sweet condensed milk and mix well).

When the pan or skillet is hot, lightly grease the surface with butter or vegetable oil.

Dip each slice of bread through the eggnog mixture and let it soak in slightly. Sprinkly both sides with cinnamon and place in the hot pan. Fry for a few minutes on each side until golden.

Dust the french toast with a light sprinkle of powder sugar and drizzle with maple syrup.

ENJOY!!!

No comments: