Friday, February 09, 2007

Taco Lentils (p1)


I love recipes and when I come across one that sounds interesting and or yummy I'll save it so I can give it a try some day. I have so many recipes that I could eat a new dish for each meal the rest of the year and still have more recipes left yet to try. Ha ha. Here is one that I found a month or so ago and thought I'd give it a try as I had everything to make it. Its extremely easy to make and tastes really good! This is one recipe that has many possibilities in how or what you put with it. The orrigional recipe is at a blog called: The Bakehouse (along with some other good looking recipes to yet to try).

Taco Lentils (p1)

In a lage skillet Saute:
1 c. diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil

When onion is translucent add and bring to a boil
c dry lentils
1 t (heaping) ground cumin
1/2 to 1 T chili powder
1 t oregano
2 1/2 t chicken broth
Powder
2 1/2 c water 1 c salsa

Reduce temperature, cover and cook 30 minutes, until lentils are tender (mine were done at this point so do check them now and again!). If not done, uncover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until mix is thickened. Mash lentils slightly if you wish. Note: I think this would be good on a taco salad, in a whole wheat tortilla with lettuce, cheese and what ever additional toppings you like, toasted in a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese as a quesadillas and dipped in sour cream and or fresh guacamole, or serve as is on a plate with some roasted veggies or a side salad. No matter what you do with these lentils they will be yummy I'm sure! ENJOY!

1 comment:

Carla said...

I too have a very long list of recipes which could most likely last me the rest of my life. But this one looks good. I'll have to give it a try.