My good friend Gretchen (the Kitchen Goddess), likes to eat at this great pizza place in Kansas called the Wheat State (check out their awesome menu at their site: Wheat State Pizza! ) Anyways, Gretchen told me about their great selection, wheat crusts, and fresh ingredients. She also told me about some of the specialties she and her family has enjoyed...and how I could recreate some of them in my own kitchen (as I live in Europe and wont be visiting this restaurant anytime soon). She mentioned that their really thin crust is much like a tortilla and that a whole wheat one would probably do just fine. She also said that on some of their pizzas they use Pesto Sauce instead of traditional red sauce. She and I visited about the possibilities and I've made MANY variations since then; its so versatile and easy! Its a great meal without stuffing yourself and its really about what you want to top it with that day :D The photos are of a: Pesto, Artichoke Hearts, Sweet Onion, Yellow Bell Peppers, Mushroom, Olive Oil, Salt and Mozzarella and the one for my daughter is: Red Pizza sauce, Yellow Bell Peppers, Cooked Ground Beef (crumbled), Sliced Deli Ham, Black Olives, Olive Oil, Salt and Mozzarella.
Gourmet Pizza (p2)
Whole Wheat Tortilla, per person
A good Red or Pesto sauce (I get a great one from a jar that has a wonderful flavor!)
Mozzarella Cheese and what ever toppings you want. Here are some basic ideas:
Beans, Tomatoes, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Spinach, Red Onions, Bell Peppers, Jalapenos, Banana Peppers, Spicy Peppers, Black Olives, Green Olives, Mushrooms, Pineapple chunks, Broccoli, Artichoke Hearts, Garlic, Portabella Mushrooms, Corn, Avocados, Turkey Pepperoni, Pork Sausage, Italian Sausage, Beef, Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Chicken, Anchovies, and or Shrimp, Herbs and or Dried Seasonings
I've made different variations like these:
- Pesto, Eggplant, Artichoke Hearts, Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Red Onions, Broccoli, Black Olives, Fresh Mushrooms, and Cheese
- Red sauce, Spinach, Portabella Mushrooms, Red Peppers, Garlic, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Artichoke Hearts, and Mozzarella
- Pesto, Spinach, Black Olives, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Feta Cheese
- Red Sauce, Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, Spinach, and Mozzarella Cheese
- Red Sauce, Bell peppers, Mushrooms, Canadian Bacon, Onion and Cheese
- Dry oregano, Fat Free re fried Beans, Taco Seasoned Ground Beef, Diced Onions, topped with Taco Sauce, Sour Cream, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Black Olives and Cheddar Cheese
- Red and Pesto sauce mixed, Grilled Chicken, Artichoke Hearts, Mushrooms, Red Onion
- Of coarse precook any raw meat however you like....grill, bake, fry, steam etc....
- Chop the veggies or drain canned veggies
- Lay out one whole wheat tortilla per person on ungreased baking sheet
- Spread prepared Pesto Sauce or Red Pizza Sauce over tortilla
- Top with what ever meats and veggies you like, drizzle a little olive oil on top, sprinkle with salt and bake 15 to 20 mins at 350 degrees - or til all ingredients are at desired doneness.
- Take out and top with Cheese and bake another 10 to 15 mins til the cheese is turning golden and bubbly.
- If you are making Taco Pizza than top with the sauce, beans, meat and bake 20 mins or so and then top with cold veggies; lettuce, tomato, black olives, salsa and sour cream and then ENJOY!