Saturday, September 30, 2006

5:4 challenge # 9 Chimichanga (p2)

Well this is the latest 5:4 challenge. This time around it was much easier for me than the last one that was extremely hard, in my opinion! We were to create a dish with: Peas, tomatoes, beef of our choice, potatoes of our choice and legumes.
Even though this has beans and sweet potatoes in it my daughter ACTUALLY ATE IT!!!! She is extremely anti beans and has become a bit of a veggie picky eater. She asked what I was making as it smelled good and when I told her she made a face of exasperation and said "Yuck beans, Never mind!" After I dished up my hubbies and my plate I suggested she at least give it a taste test. she took a bite and walked into the kitchen to look for more. she came out and asked were it was and I told her I'd only fixed one for her dad and i as she didn't want any. she batted her eyes at me and asked if I'd go ahead and make one for her too. Her friend came over in the meantime and i guess asked what I was making (Cathy always loves to eat what I make, bless her little heart!) and so I fixed one for her too. both enjoyed it and ate all of it!


Beef & Veggie Chimichanga (p2)
Roast Beef (cooked however you like)
frozen peas
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (what ever temperature you prefer)
1 can black beans
1 sweet potato, diced
Cheddar cheese, shredded
ww tortillas
cumin to taste
salt to taste
Olive oil

Cook up the Roast Beef however you prefer. I fixed up the roast early this week by cooking it in a pkg of Lipton's Onion soup mix (dry) with extra sliced raw onions and water to cover. I boiled this down til the meat was extremely tender (add more water if needed) I cooked this on top of the stove, in my dutch oven, and with the lid particularly covering.

Grate outer skin of one sweet potato, slice and dice it up. Fry this up til tender in a skillet with some olive oil and salt. When this is finished drain if needed and set aside. In the same skillet toss in pea's, tomatoes, beans, cumin, salt and shredded beef. Add a little water if needed but cook til the peas are tender and cooked. Season more if needed. Add the sweet potatoes and mix well.

Place a little of this mixture in a whole wheat tortilla, top with some shredded cheese and wrap up burrito style. In a heated skillet with some oil place this wrapped tortilla, wrapped side down, in the heated oil. when golden brown roll over and cook the other side. place on paper towels and let drain well and serve.

NOTE: A serving suggestion would be: to place on a bed of shredded lettuce, top with some more cheese, sour cream, salsa and chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

G said...

I have to say that I am really impressed with all these projects for a healthier eating lifestyle.

I can barely pull it together to make supper some nights.

Once I get my business up and running I will have to spend more time going through all your recipes.

I have been barely able to visit any blogs lately come to think of it. WAH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is half the fun of blogging. I really appreciate you looking at my blog and posting comments. It means a lot to me.
xo Gaz