Thursday, August 03, 2006

Grilled Chicken Satays with Lime Ginger Marinade and Peanut Sauce (P1)

From the blog of:
Reluctant Housewife Recipes
Photos by Nau-Dee

Grilled Chicken Satays with Lime Ginger Marinade and Peanut Sauce (P1)

Chicken Tenders

Marinade:
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon (sugar free) honey
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
Peanut Sauce (below)



Cut the tenders in half lengthwise so that they are not too wide and will lift on the skewer nicely.
Combine all the marinade ingredients into a large bowl and place the tenders into the marinade and mix to cover chicken. Let marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water for at least 15 minutes.

Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Thread the chicken tenders very carefully. The skewer should mostly go through the chicken but because it is so thin it will need to be threaded in and out a little and that will work out just fine.

Grill over medium high heat for about 3 minutes per side or more until cooked all the way through. These should be very thin slices so they really should cook very fast.

Serve warm or at room temperature with Peanut Sauce.
















Peanut Sauce
Makes 1 1/2 cups

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup scallions, sliced very thinly
1 lemongrass stalk, pliable center very thinly minced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter-Natural is preferred
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used sf maple syrup and splenda)
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Lower heat, add ginger, jalapeno, scallions, lemongrass, cayenne, and coriander. Cook until for about 4-5 minutes until beginning to brown just slightly and super fragrant.

Add coconut milk and bring it to a simmer.

Add peanut butter, sugar, lime juice and salt. And stir really well to combine and let it simmer about 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Remove from stove and and let cool to room temperature before serving.

Note: Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, stir over medium heat until hot, thinning with water if necessary.

And ENJOY!

Oh this was yummy. I bit of work and a lot of ingredients but well worth the flavors. I particularly enjoyed the flavor of the chicken!
I somehow got more than just 1 1/2 cups of the peanut sauce. I'll save it for another time I make this chicken..wonder how well it will freeze? Anyways over all it was very good. The peanut sauce is one I have to get used to. I think if and when I make it again, as i don't have any low fat coconut milk I think I'll make it with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or cream and add coconut extract....i think that would make it a bit more Sb friendly. Instead of brown sugar I used the splenda and sugar free maple syrup combo to emulate the flavor.

4 comments:

Mags said...

OK...this looks RIGHT up my alley! I love peanut sauce. And now I know what to do with that can of lite-coconut milk! I can't wait to try this.

G said...

So how much peanut sauce do you think the recipe made up? Sometimes I forget to measure up how much the whole thing adds up to!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Nau-Dee said...

Well Gabriella I didn't actually measure it either, ha ha -but I think it was between 2c to 3 cups ... perhaps I did something wrong? Either way the flavor was wonderful and that's all that counts. Thanks so much for the recipe - It was greatly enjoyed!

G said...

Thanks dear!