Thursday, September 28, 2006

Flax Seed Granola (p1)

I got this recipe from the SB Century Club and was pretty interested as it. I used to make a snack or desert that we called: Fro-gurt; frozen fruit, plain yogurt (that I always doctored up a bit) and some granola. I am a bit picky about my granola as I'm not wild about the ones with raisins and such. I REALLY liked the Kroger brand granola and used to get it all the time. It was in the cereal isle but I never used it as such, only topped my fruit N cream with it. Since doing Sb I really haven't thought about this little dish til I came across this flax seed granola recipe. then I got rather excited to try it out and see about making my old dish (it too was a comfort food as it was sweet, tart, creamy and crunchy all at the same time!).

Flax Seed Granola (p1)

Preheat Oven: 250 / Cooking Time: 3 hr

2 cups ground flax
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup thin sliced, unsalted almonds
1 TBS pumpkin pie spice
1/2 granular Splenda
1/2 TBSP. vanilla
1/2 TBS almond extract

6 egg whites
1/2 cup water

Mix wet ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another bowl. Then combine together and mix well.

Spread in a jellyroll pan and bake until completely dry at 250 degrees for 2 to 3 hours. Every hour while baking, take a fork and break up any large bits. (Don''t break them too small or you end up with to tiny of crumbs.)

Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments: