Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Nau-Dee's Sausage, Mushroom, Spinach, and Leek Soup (p1)

One of the blogs that I enjoy is: Once Upon A Feast - Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories. While there, I came across a Leek, Mushroom and Spinach Soup recipe that looked REALLY good. It was a cold day and soup sounded like a great idea. I made it as the recipe called and it was wonderful!!!!! I highly recommend it. However today I wanted this soup but felt adding a few things and changing a few other things would be good too and suit my taste buds. My recipe is as follows...

Nau-Dee's Sausage, Mushroom, Spinach, and Leek Soup (p1)

Ingredients:
Approximately 3 cups thinly sliced leeks, white part only (cuz they are most tender...OR you can use some of the green part too but cook it first before adding in the white as it will take longer to cook!)
Approximately 2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 lb ground turkey sausage, cooked and chopped into small chunk/bits
1 package chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 can of of chicken broth
2 to 2.5 cups water
1 cup 1% milk
2 TAB olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash of Nutmeg for flavor


1. Slice up mushrooms and leeks. For leeks I didn't measure, I just used 2 large and 3 medium ones as I like it to be thick with veggies.

2. In Large or Medium size pot, cook ground turkey sausage (drain if needed). Add some olive oil, mushrooms and the leeks and saute until the veggies are tender. I like to do this all in the same cooking pot as it really makes a nice flavor for the entirety of the sou[. I also added a bit of salt to this saute mixture. When finished add thawed spinach and toss.


3. Pour in chicken broth, water and milk (add more or less depending on the amount of veggies you use and your desired consistency) Season with salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg to taste. Bring to a low boil, stir and reduce the heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes and then serve.

* I think with a little fresh grated parmesan cheese on top makes a nice and yummy garnish.

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

Great addition to the original. As soon as the weather gets cold, I'll do the same.

Thanks for mentioning me - I'm honored.